[guardian-dev] OSTN/linphone report

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Jun 29 20:57:37 EDT 2016

To set up linphone for android on OSTN/ostel.co

1. Install linphone 3.1.0 from f-droid.  (Google Play has 3.1.1, which
should be the same.)

2. Select "Use sip account"
   Enter username, password, "ostel.co", "ostel" (display name).
   Leave "Transport" set to the default "TLS".
   Click "Login"

3. Select "Settings" from main menu.
   Select "Network" submenu.
   Select "Media Encryption" and choose ZRTP.

4. Optionally. select "advanced" and "start at boot".

I watched someone set this up on iOS.  TLS defaulted to on.  Then the
person needed to enable ZRTP in network menu, I think under 'media
encryption'.

Maybe I am missing something about the OSTN profile and this config is
not sufficient.

I have successfully observed jitsi/linphone-android (voice) and
linphone-android/linphone-ios calls (voice and video).  I saw the 4-char
ZRTP prompt on both ends on the first call.

I have run linphone on android for several days and it does not seem to
be causing battery drain (which csipsimple did, getting into a bad state
on wifi/cell handovers).

So I realize not having a setup wizard is an issue, but I would rather
have to set a menu item than have battery drain (or pay $32 and run
proprietary software).

(This message is CC0; feel free to rip off for docs.)