[guardian-dev] [GSoC 2016] Orfox - Report 3

Amogh Pradeep amoghbl1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 13:56:47 EDT 2016

Hey guys,

These are the things that I’ve done in the past couple of weeks.

1) Finish the network audit.
I’ve managed to comb through the Firefox for android code to find all the network code in the java layer. [0]
The good news here is that the Java layer has now been reduced to using 2 network libraries instead of 3.
This is a result of one of our patches going upstream. [1]

2) Stable build with ESR45.
I’ve finally managed to get Orfox building fine on ESR45. APK [2]
There are still a few quirks that we need to work out, after which we should be able to get an official build out.
This APK is highly experimental at the moment, please use it just for testing purposes only.

3) Conversation with Mozilla team.
I had a nice chat with mozilla about the java network code in firefox. [3]
To try to find what might be useful for them as well, this way, we could send more code upstream.
And it also helps with judging what we must do next.

4) Orfox Logo update.
Thanks to Nathan, we have a new logo for Orfox :D [4]
We had to replace our old one as it looked too much like Mozilla’s fox.

Best,
Amogh Pradeep
amoghbl1 at gmail.com

[0] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19519 <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19519>