[guardian-dev] Exploring an IOCipher container from ChatSecure

Jabber Wocky jwocky12345 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:26:15 EDT 2016

I'm trying to poke at how IOCipher works within ChatSecure's iOS app and
could use some help!

My goal is to mount and/or explore an IOCipher container file (of which I
know the password) from the ChatSecure iOS app.  I've followed your
instructions from the guardian wiki (
https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/iocipher/wiki). The IOCipher
tools seem to be running properly; however, I'm not getting expected
results.

Steps I've taken:
 * Installed necessary dependencies
 * Copied the IOCipher container file to /tmp/fsdata
 * Attempted to run fuse_sqlfs (w/correct password)
 * Attempted to run sqlfsls on the container file (w/correct password)

I always get the same result:

file is encrypted or is not a database
file is encrypted or is not a database
file is encrypted or is not a database
Failed to open: /tmp/fsdata

I'm providing the correct password to the libsqlfs tools. Does anyone know
if ChatSecure iOS is doing anything funky with its IOCipher implementation?

-JW