[guardian-dev] NetCipher: Integrate Tor Status Check?

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Fri May 13 06:32:16 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016, at 02:40, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I like the idea of enforcing by default, but I worry about unintended
> consequences of checking https://check.torproject.org/api/ip before
> setting up an instance.  Perhaps it is something like the check whether
> Orbot is installed: run only on the first time NetCipher is used to get
> an HTTP stack instance.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Not every connection; just once per process,
after we get the proxy port but before we hand the *first* client object
back to the app.

> Also, for what its worth, .onion addresses would not need any
> https://check.torproject.org/api/ip checks since they only work through
> Tor.

OrbotHelper won't know that URL at the time it is doing the
confirmation, though, so it needs to confirm regardless of what URLs
might get used by the app.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
https://commonsware.com | https://github.com/commonsguy