[guardian-dev] Orbot 15.2.0 RC 1 is out!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Nov 2 05:40:37 EDT 2016

I posted the best and RC builds to our FDroid repo, so testers can also
get them there.

It seems to be working OK, I can't say definitely yet whether this
version has fixed my issues with the HTTP Proxy being dead whenever I
wake/unlock the device after its been unused for a while.

Another important bug is still present: on first time install, the START
Intent is not starting Orbot.  Fixing this is essential to providing a
good experience for new users.  Once this is fixed, then we can make
lots of apps have a "Use Tor" switch preference that will install and
start Tor for people who do not have it installed.

.hc

VanitasVitae:
> [...]
> I also like that the vpn feature can now be applied to individual apps. I didn't know that was possible, but its really great!
> There is still a visual bug with the spinning onion (the movement looks really wrong and unnatural).
> All in all the new release seems a lot more stable than before. 15.0.1 was barely usable for me (a lot of crashes), but now it just works again.
> I think something went wrong with the release date in the fdroid repo. It sais 01.01.02 for me.
> Are there any news about a central  repository + issue tracker?
>
> Vanitas
>
> Am 29. Oktober 2016 17:57:51 MESZ, schrieb Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info>:
>> I've pushed out a quick RC2 release attempting to address issues with
>> root+transproxy features.
>>
>> If you use these features, please test this build with them enabled.
>>
>> APK: https://guardianproject.info/releases/Orbot-v15.2.0-RC-2-arm.apk
>> (.asc)
>>
>> 5d52f04 update to 15.2.0-RC-2
>> dacf2ef cleanup resources and unused drawables
>> d25b3d5 tweak root preferences
>> 4d66133 remove unused files
>> ef57341 re-enabled root permission request and shell
>> f463887 quick fixes for app UI and VPN dialog
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016, at 09:13 AM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
>>> A culmination of work done since March, has resulted in a
>>> stable-enough-for-jazz RC 1 release of Orbot v15.2. This is the first
>> RC
>>> using our new Gradle-based project, which we hope to even further
>> refine
>>> into various useful modules.
>>>
>>> We've also redesigned the user interface to be even simpler for new
>>> users, yet still have all the exciting options for the old timers.
>> Along
>>> with this, we are now shipping on ARM only, SDK16+ release, reducing
>> the
>>> app download size to 7MB. We will be released x86 and MIPS builds
>>> shortly, as well. We are considering our strategy for supporting
>> older
>>> devices, in particular Android 2.3, or at least 4.0/SDK-14, and up
>>> still.
>>>
>>> The build has been pushed to Google Play, and is available as an APK
>> for
>>> direct download. We will update our F-Droid repository shortly, as
>>> always.
>>>
>>> APK: https://guardianproject.info/releases/Orbot-v15.2.0-RC-1-arm.apk
>>> (.asc)
>>> Tag:
>>>
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/orbot.git/commit/?id=9077bd236df388cd14727252d0be676d39b841e5
>>>
>>> CHANGELOG: https://gitweb.torproject.org/orbot.git/tree/CHANGELOG
>>>
>>> /** 15.2.0 RC 1 / 28 October 2016/
>>> 9077bd236df388cd14727252d0be676d39b841e5 **/
>>>
>>> 9077bd2 update to 15.2.0-RC-1 and SDK min of 16
>>> 085ddb3 make ndk-build work again
>>> 290059d fix string path in build script
>>> dec3d95 add proguard rules to optimize orbot binary
>>> 160383b update for gradle
>>>
>>> /** 15.2.0 BETA 2 / 24 October 2016/
>>> 12b1198b4b5a4420b16b9ab166828bba787c17aa **/
>>>
>>> 345aea9 move the controls to the left sidebar; improve VPN mode more
>>> c76d935 improve bridge dialog display
>>> ac037a9 fix browser install request
>>> 28f1dbf make the VPN/apps mode have a better UI flow
>>> c1ffdbb put browser button back in
>>> 518f70d comment out notification actions for now
>>> 0bb8e84 update Tor version to 0.2.8.9
>>> 2125db1 make start and stop of Tor service all hanlded through
>> executor
>>> d8648a5 remove meek-google as an option
>>> 2676cd3 update resource to make smaller
>>> 3ee6b2a don't fail on lint for release builds
>>> e3d7ca2 update tor 0.2.8.9
>>>
>>> /** 15.2.0 BETA 1 / 13 October 2016/
>>> abaa3f83fc64b9b567a5d437d26db0f660655f35 **/
>>>
>>> cd8b549 add the compiled tun2socks lib for devs who just want to work
>> on
>>> UI
>>> 3c181bc add the proguard rules
>>> 9948975 we aren't going to show a notification light
>>> 50f33c9 make sure we set VPN mode properly before we launch the
>> service
>>> 9de4f54 using compat builder for notifications
>>> 3308602 improve the code for launching the pdnsd daemon
>>> da0fb10 multiple fixes to re-enable VPN mode and pdnsd daemon
>>> ca238c6 continued re-integration of VPN feature
>>> 1614921 clean pdnsd binaries from libs in Makefile
>>> 1db5676 continue to migrate service and VPN code
>>> d5f2c06 remove vpn code that is now in the service module
>>> 34c7cfd modify jni build inclusion
>>> 268002b fix build scripts for new paths
>>> 6333a45 update gitignore to handle orbotservice binary libs
>>> d2cf545 move jni code and VPN logic from app module to service
>>> 9f61afc improve tor service event handling and display
>>> ebc046e remove littleproxy reference (for now!)
>>> 7c3a16f we don't need a separate service for the VPN
>>> 7950cac remove dated information in the BUILD file
>>> 9afbb00 update gradle props and ignore files we don't want in repo
>>> 7284a5e make sure Tor start/stop work - use Process instance instead
>> of
>>> processID lookup - reply on Tor's HALT command
>>> 55e08b9 tweak homescreen layout and strings
>>> d56fdb2 renable polipo
>>> 90d77ce modify imports
>>> 1ffea58 udpate resource paths
>>> bab7904 target API 14
>>> aba7f8e update gitignores for gradle
>>> 912cb74 update tor to 0.2.8.7
>>> 5a4e00a fix paths for new module layout
>>> ecf9023 remove old binaries
>>> 10f1ade update makefile and add new patch
>>> b52023a move assets to service project
>>> 549399b launch default activity from notification
>>> 6d0fdbb update gitignore for gradle project
>>> 56683a3 add pdnsd library in for vpn service DNS!
>>> 29fd07a remove patches from here, moved to external
>>> 0f00e12 move patches to external since that is what it is applied to
>>> (external code)
>>> 54b3349 remove redundant code from old ant build format (not in
>> gradle
>>> modules)
>>> 18682e4 big check-in of major gradle refactor; now building and
>> running!
>>> VPN features are disabled for now
>>> bdb5893 update translations
>>> 4023354 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:n8fr8/orbot
>>> 6e45c07 Merge pull request #32 from ghost/patch-1
>>> 21c5bcc Remove typo
>>> 5adcbec Start the meek transport for custom meek bridges
>>>

>>> --
>>>   Nathan of Guardian
>>>   nathan at guardianproject.info
>>

>> --
>>  Nathan of Guardian
>>  nathan at guardianproject.info

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556