[guardian-dev] Hi, i' new

arrase arrase at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:13:58 EST 2016

>:

> Nathan of Guardian:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2016, at 05:21 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >> What use case are you thinking for manually setting up a hidden service
> >> in Orbot?
> >>
> >> Orbot doesn't provide any actual services beyond Tor and internet
> >> proxying, so it seems that its not really the place for setting up and
> >> managing hidden services.
> >
> > I do see value here for medium to advanced users, that want to use Orbot
> > with apps that do not support setting up hidden servers directly. This
> > is mostly remote access to on device HTTP servers, SSH servers and so
> > on. Today, we have many users who do this through the existing Orbot
> > settings, where you can manually enter a port, and the onion service is
> > generated. Arrase is just extending that behavior with a better user
> > interface. I think it is a valid use of Orbot.
>
> That's going to add a fair amount of complexity to Orbot, as well as the
> requirement to save valuable state info (i.e. beyond the regular setup).
>  Seems like we should have a strong use case for this before taking it
> on.  People who want to run servers on their phone can always use
> linuxdeploy, Lil' Debi, etc.

But the feature is currently there, why we have to lose it?
Maintain backwards compatibility as much as possible is a good idea.

Currently the only documented use of orbot for run hidden services is open
the settings a manually add a port.

And i use that feature, i don't like to code for loose it.

On the point of saving more information, I do not see the problem, I have
solved it with a content provider that consults a database with a single
table, simple and easy to maintain.

Most of the work is done, we just need to improve the acquisition of
permissions and improve layouts.

I suggest to take a look at the work already done.

https://github.com/arrase/orbot/tree/hidden_services

There is not more complexity, just a simple list with a button to add, but
the added features have been many and without breaking compatibility back.

.hc