[guardian-dev] CopperheadOS Re-licensing

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 06:34:20 EDT 2016

Hi

On Mon 10-Oct-2016 at 11:11:33AM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> People gotta eat and pay the rent in order to make free software :)

Of course.

> I'm hoping that this is a temporary measure.  Having it non-free
> software does inevitably change the nature of any cooperation with
> them.

Indeed.

The new terms, cc-by-nc:

- CopperheadOS is now officially licensed under
  https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode
  If necessary, further changes will happen to make it sustainable.

  https://twitter.com/CopperheadOS/status/781182820660183040

There is also this:

- We're going to be keeping some major in-development features internal
  until we're confident that the new licensing is going to be respected.

  https://twitter.com/CopperheadOS/status/782675476984717312

I was considering getting a 2016 Nexus to run CopperheadOS on, thinking
that Google might sell last years phones off a bit cheaper after
lanuching their latest ones, but they simply pulled the old phones from
their site.

All the best

Chris

--