[guardian-dev] our apps on Chromebook

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Oct 31 06:24:16 EDT 2016

Nathan of Guardian:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016, at 02:13 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> So I just got a Asus Chromebook Flip, which is an ARM-based Chromebook
>> that is one of the first devices to get Google Play on it.  I just
>> installed Orfox, Orbot, Ripple, and Checkey all work.  Orfox works
>> pretty well, but there is some clunkiness in the interaction which I
>> chalk up to the newness of the Android app support.
>
> That is great to hear. Anyway to do a demo video or screen capture of
> all of those running?

There is some Chromebook Remote Access, but I've never used it.  We
could try installing it if you want to try it out.

>> The crappy thing is that there is no "Unknown Sources" checkbox, so you
>> can't use F-Droid without switching the device into "developer mode".
>
> Right, I guess that is part of the Chrome OS bargain. What happens when
> you switch to developer mode? Does F-Droid somehow get root/system
> privs?

I just got it, so I haven't tried Developer Mode yet.  But I will.

FYI, I'm installing ChatSecure now.  For Zom, it says "You're device
isn't compatible with this version".

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556