[guardian-dev] Number of CN Orbot users?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Sep 13 16:44:23 EDT 2016

Do you have a guess as to how many Orbot users there are in China?

Someone told me that the Play Store provides user counts, but maybe you
don't look at those, and maybe they aren't meaningful anyway (I don't
know if the Play Store is blocked in China).

I'm asking because according to our measurements
(https://www.bamsoftware.com/proxy-probe/), Orbot's default obfs4
bridges do not get blocked, even as Tor Browser's do. (I just checked
and the Orbot-only obfs4 bridges are unblocked even now.) I wonder why
this might be the case. It might be that whoever set up their blocking
procedures doesn't know about Orbot, or it might be that there are too
few Orbot users to bother with.