[guardian-dev] Free Software Ride Hailing Systems?

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 18:26:52 EDT 2017

It's probably worth gaining familiarity with various dirty tricks the
industry uses, as well as brainstorming active attacks on the
platform/industry.

In particular I'm thinking of Uber's "greyballing" as well as some of the
things the satellite TV industry has done; I can't imagine either TNC or
taxi companies being particularly fond of yet another entrant, or worse, a
technology suite that allows many new competitors to overcome a number of
technology hurdles (no matter how much they profess that competition is
good for the market). Also, getting a critical mass of drivers and riders
is a similar problem to bootstrapping a dating site. No one is going to
want to use the service if it's not already active in their area, and that
makes it hard to raise funds to advertise to gain users ...

I like the idea, I don't have a good plan for building an open ride-hailing
platform in what is sure to be a hostile environment.