[guardian-dev] Free Software Ride Hailing Systems?

abram stern (aphid) aphid at ucsc.edu
Mon Apr 10 13:19:04 EDT 2017

I'm pretty sure I saw Trebor Scholz give a talk that mentioned some open
source code &infrastructure that taxi coops were using.  Maybe on one of
the digital labor/platform cooperativism streams.. I'll see if I can find
it.
-a

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> Nathan of Guardian:
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 8, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >>
> >> Its always seemed to me that building the software behind things like
> >> Uber and Lyft would not be so hard.  If there was a free software
> >> version, then all of these taxi companies around the world would be able
> >> to compete with the monopolistic Uber juggernaut.  And there would be
> >> lots of opportunity to make the software respect privacy.
> >>
> >> With Uber banned in Italy and other places, it seems like are some good
> >> opportunities for this:
> >> http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/D6tvS06-
> idk/italy-bans-uber
> >
> > Have you seen this: LibreTaxi.org  ?
> >
> > https://github.com/ro31337/libretaxi
>
> I did see that, it looks like a promising start, but not very far along.
>  Something to follow at least.
>
> .hc
>
> --
> PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
> https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556

Abram Stern (aphid)
PhD Student, Film and Digital Media
University of California, Santa Cruz