[guardian-dev] Question about Orbot and Tor Path Selection

Kevin Gallagher kcg295 at nyu.edu
Tue Apr 11 14:39:15 EDT 2017

Hello Guardian project dev team!

Please forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question. I
was wondering if Orbot checked for network connectivity every time it
attempts to build a Tor circuit or poll entry nodes. I was discussing
Tor path selection with some coworkers when it occurred to us that if a
mobile client attempts to connect to a Tor entry node without first
checking for networking connectivity it would increase the rate at which
the mobile client would cycle through Tor entry nodes. This is
considered a threat to anonymity, since shuffling through entry nodes
increases the probability of hitting a malicious entry-exit pair that
can perform traffic analysis (or even just a malicious entry that can
attempt website fingerprinting or hidden service fingerprinting). Again,
please forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask.

Thanks for your time,

Kevin Gallagher

--
Kevin Gallagher
PhD Candidate, Department of Computer Science
Email: kevin.gallagher at nyu.edu
Key Fingerprint: D02B 25CB 0F7D E276 06C3  BF08 53E4 C50F 8247 4861