[guardian-dev] Netcipher Usage of TorServiceUtils

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Aug 23 18:01:44 EDT 2017

Hey Dominik,

It would be great to have you using NetCipher!  Those shell commands are
used on older platforms to detect whether Tor is running. I haven't
looked at them in a while, maybe Nathan can comment more.  If we can get
rid of them entirely and still support android-10, then that would be
the ideal outcome.

Sorry for the slow response, I was on vacation.

.hc

Dominik Schuermann:
> Hi,
>
> In OpenKeychain we currently use a copied and modified version of
> Netcipher classes at
> https://github.com/open-keychain/open-keychain/tree/master/OpenKeychain/src/main/java/org/sufficientlysecure/keychain/network/orbot
>
> I would use Netcipher as a dependency, but I don't like
> https://github.com/guardianproject/NetCipher/blob/master/libnetcipher/src/info/guardianproject/netcipher/proxy/TorServiceUtils.java
>
> Are there plans to remove this class? It uses shell commands and has
> references to "Superuser.apk" and "/system/bin/su".
>
> Finding out if Orbot runs or not should now also works using broadcast
> intents.
>
> Cheers
> Dominik

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556