[guardian-dev] why Firefox needs GCM

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Dec 14 08:28:41 EST 2017

Yeah, but this perception always irks me:

"Firefox for Desktop runs its own custom push service called `autopush`
that keeps long-lived Web Sockets open.  As you surely know, that's not
viable on a phone"

Holding open a socket that has no data traversing it consumes almost no
power. GSM is essentially doing this themselves, how else does it work
on a wifi only device like a tablet?

Perhaps a patch could be written for Fennec/Firefox to use the autopush
desktop service?