[guardian-dev] IOCipher multiple containers

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri Feb 10 05:16:23 EST 2017

hey Zoki,

It is theoretically possible to use multiple containers, but it is not
well tested and it is not the use case we have in mind for it.  IOCipher
is designed around the idea of having a single file system that is
dedicated to the app.  It was not really designed to be general purpose
"containers".  That said, there is no technical limitation that would
prevent IOCipher from handling multiple containers.  Its mostly a
question of how to design a good API for that.  IOCipher uses
java.io.File as the API, there is no way to specify which container to
use in that API.  Having a global "switch container" method seems like a
recipe for many super confusing bugs.

I think starting a Service in its own process for each container would
be the best way to do that with IOCipher as it is now.

.hc

zoki:
> Hello, I have few questions regarding using multiple iocipher containers.
> Is it possible to use multiple containers at the same time? Or at least
> easy switching between them?
> I don't know how to use them because VirtualFileSystem is singleton. I
> guess that has some purpose, can someone please explain why?
>
> Now with new ExoPlayer which has support for playing from content provider
> is very easy to play videos from secure container. I'm thinking to use
> another container for caching video files, because it's easier to delete
> container files and free storage rather than doing container shrinking.
> Would I need to start new process for that?
>
> Thanks for any help :)

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556