[guardian-dev] help with netcipher

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Jan 24 05:41:39 EST 2017

Nathan of Guardian:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 10:11 AM, Mark Murphy wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017, at 10:07, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
>>> Otherwise, yeah, waiting a little bit for all the processes to spin up
>>> is not a bad idea.
>>
>> Should Orbot send out STATUS_OK before the processes are ready? Or,
>> should Orbot send out some other status (STATUS_CONNECTABLE?) when the
>> processes are ready?
>>

> Yes, we should perhaps delay the STATUS_OK until we know everything is
> running. I will take a look at the timing of that now.

Orbot should not broadcast STATUS_ON until everything that is configured
to start is ready for operation (tor, polipo, obfs, VPN, etc).  Arrase
and Mark understand the model correctly: apps should be able to use
Orbot services immediately after receiving the STATUS_ON status
broadcast.  Orbot just needs to deliver on that promise.  It sounds like
Orbot was sending STATUS_ON too early in the setup that arrase has.
Apps that want to know whether the startup has begun can listen for
STATUS_STARTING.

Where did STATUS_OK come from, or is that just a typo?