[guardian-dev] Development of Orfox

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Sat Jul 15 09:04:54 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 05:38 AM, glass at tutamail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017, at 01:45 PM, nathan at guardianproject.info wrote:
> > only post new releases when there is a critical update in Tor Browser.
> > Since Tor is updated via Orbot itself, there is less need to update Orfox
> > in some cases, then with Tor Browser (which bundles Tor).
>
> This way you're still missing almost 7 months of Firefox security
> fixes... Orfox should not be recommended at all.

We endeavor to stay current with Tor Browser releases, which are based
on Firefox ESR releases. We review all back ported critical security
patches to determine if they affect mobile/Fennec and act accordingly.
We have an ESR 52 releases coming as soon as we can stabilize it, which
I think will be this week.

All that said, Orfox is being taken over by the core Tor Browser team,
who are finally taking mobile (well at least Android) seriously. I am
very happy for this as it was my goal all along.

As for recommending Orfox, do you have a better option for people? I do
like Brave browser and Firefox Focus with all the paranoid options
enable, and routed through Orbot via VPN mode. The browsers are Android
Webkit based however  which brings it's own bag of issues related to
being out of date.

+n