[guardian-dev] NetCipher: using OkHttp without Tor

Michael Pöhn michael.poehn at fsfe.org
Mon Jun 19 06:05:53 EDT 2017

Hey,

I'm improving TLS-support and adding a Tor option to an App which uses
OkHttp. Tor/Orbot support works excellent with NetCipher by the way, so
thanks for making that possible.

I'm still struggling with direct TLS connections on old devices thou.
(eg. android 4.2) Plain OkHttp attempts to use TLSv1 and fails if the
web-server does not support outdated protocols. When configuring a Tor
proxy using StrongOkHttpClientBuilder everything works fine on old
devices. Is this because the proxy connection is not encrypted and the
http-proxy in Orbot will use its own TLS library?

Is there any way NetCipher can help me with establishing TLSv1.2
connections on old android devices? The docs state: »that you can use
this library without using Orbot/Tor«, but I couldn't find any further
documentation on this. I've been investigating the libraries source for
a bit, but could not find an obvious way to use
StrongOkHttpClientBuilder without configuring a Tor-proxy. Any hints
would be very appreciated.

br.
Michael