[guardian-dev] Orbot/meek users in Brazil

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Fri Mar 17 15:42:54 EDT 2017

According to Tor Metrics, the number of bridge users (mostly meek) in
Brazil has settled down, after about 9 months of being (seemingly
abnormally) elevated.

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-bridge-combined.html?start=2016-06-01&end=2017-03-17&country=br

Do you have any thoughts as to what could have caused it? Isabela, after
speaking to some Brazilians, said that it didn't seem to be genuine
users, but rather some automated system, perhaps malware. Vern Paxson
suggested that perhaps Orbot updates were being blocked (causing clients
to use a stale configuration? I admit I don't really understand this
possibility).

The recent drop in meek users on March 3 is no doubt a result of the
deactivation of the former meek-azure CDN endpoint:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-March/000981.html
What it suggests to me, is that most of the meek users in Brazil were
using meek-azure, and not meek-amazon.