[guardian-dev] Android O's "Manage External Sources"!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Sun Mar 26 07:30:04 EDT 2017

Looks like a nice security improvement with minimal impact on usability.
 The headline scared me, I fear that with Android and ChromeOS merging,
that Android could go the way of ChromeOS, which only allows apps to be
installed via Google channels (e.g. it does not have any Unknown Sources
preference).

.hc

Dominik Schuermann:
> Great feature indeed, now people hopefully no longer complain that they
> need to turn on "unknown sources" system-wide.
>
> Still, I guess even when F-Droid gets this special permission, it will
> still need to show the PackageInstaller UI for updating apps.
>
> Cheers
> Dominik
>
> On 03/22/2017 03:28 AM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
>> Just saw this new feature in Android O:
>> http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/21/android-o-feature-spotlight-model-installing-apps-unknown-sources-changed/
>> " each app now must be granted the install source permission for APK
>> installation"
>>
>> What this means is the a user will be prompted grant a specific app, in
>> our case F-Droid, permission to install APKs, as opposed to the enabling
>> "unknown sources" forever.
>>
>> This a huge exciting opportunity for legitimizing decentralized app
>> hosting, without compromising a user's security. So cool.
>>
>> Now if only it didn't take years for the latest Android release to get
>> traction... :(
>>
>> +n

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556