[guardian-dev] Android O's "Manage External Sources"!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Sun Mar 26 07:31:11 EDT 2017

On a related note, we're getting really close to getting F-Droid
Privileged Extension integrated into Fairphone OS Open:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/should-fairphone-open-come-pre-installed-with-f-droid/23230

.hc

Hans-Christoph Steiner:

> Looks like a nice security improvement with minimal impact on usability.
>  The headline scared me, I fear that with Android and ChromeOS merging,
> that Android could go the way of ChromeOS, which only allows apps to be
> installed via Google channels (e.g. it does not have any Unknown Sources
> preference).
>
> .hc
>
> Dominik Schuermann:
>> Great feature indeed, now people hopefully no longer complain that they
>> need to turn on "unknown sources" system-wide.
>>
>> Still, I guess even when F-Droid gets this special permission, it will
>> still need to show the PackageInstaller UI for updating apps.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dominik
>>
>> On 03/22/2017 03:28 AM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
>>> Just saw this new feature in Android O:
>>> http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/21/android-o-feature-spotlight-model-installing-apps-unknown-sources-changed/
>>> " each app now must be granted the install source permission for APK
>>> installation"
>>>
>>> What this means is the a user will be prompted grant a specific app, in
>>> our case F-Droid, permission to install APKs, as opposed to the enabling
>>> "unknown sources" forever.
>>>
>>> This a huge exciting opportunity for legitimizing decentralized app
>>> hosting, without compromising a user's security. So cool.
>>>
>>> Now if only it didn't take years for the latest Android release to get
>>> traction... :(
>>>
>>> +n

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556