[guardian-dev] jmp.chat - SMS for XMPP (Zom/ChatSecure/Conversations/etc)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Sep 26 20:40:36 EDT 2017

Denver Gingerich <denver at ossguy.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 07:33:00AM +0000, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Now you can have a real US/Canada phone number with your favorite
>> XMPP/Jabber client:
>>
>> "JMP gives you a real phone number for sending picture and text messages
>> right from a Jabber account."
>>
>> https://jmp.chat/
>
> Founder of JMP here.  Happy to answer any questions you might have,
> either here (if relevant to guardian-dev) or by private email.  Feel

I would like to understand why you recommend CSipSimple.  I had trouble
with it when using ostel.co.  I am fuzzy on the details, but I think it
would start using CPU time after there was a cell->wifi handover or the
reverse and not recover.    But more seriously it appears to have no
functioning upstream, and the last release was in 2014.

I have used linphone instead, which seems maintained.  However the most
recent version is not yet available on f-droid.

I gather Ring can do regular SIP too.

Another question is that your system seems to do SMS over xmpp, and PSTN
phone via SIP.  But I also see a sip-like service used over xmpp some
times (jingle?).  I am curious about your rationale for which one to use
(and guessing standards compliance and interoperability).

Greg