[guardian-dev] jmp.chat - SMS for XMPP (Zom/ChatSecure/Conversations/etc)

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Tue Sep 26 21:02:33 EDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 08:40:36PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I would like to understand why you recommend CSipSimple.  I had trouble
> with it when using ostel.co.  I am fuzzy on the details, but I think it
> would start using CPU time after there was a cell->wifi handover or the
> reverse and not recover.    But more seriously it appears to have no
> functioning upstream, and the last release was in 2014.

The main reason for recommending CSipSimple is that it appears to be the only Android SIP client that reliably rings on incoming calls.  User reports suggest that other SIP clients (including the built-in client) often miss calls, which we want to avoid.

While CSipSimple does appear to be somewhat unmaintained, we're not aware of any particular bugs that would cause it to be insecure or otherwise unsuitable for the JMP use case.  Perhaps if we acquire more resources we will be able to maintain it going forward.  We'll see!

> I have used linphone instead, which seems maintained.  However the most
> recent version is not yet available on f-droid.

Linphone seems to work well for many people, though it doesn't ring as reliably as CSipSimple.  If your use case doesn't require that, then it may be exactly what you're looking for.

> I gather Ring can do regular SIP too.

I didn't know that, and haven't tested it.  If you find it works well, we'd be happy to hear about it.

> Another question is that your system seems to do SMS over xmpp, and PSTN
> phone via SIP.  But I also see a sip-like service used over xmpp some
> times (jingle?).  I am curious about your rationale for which one to use
> (and guessing standards compliance and interoperability).

We're interested in adding Jingle voice support, but it's a bit of a chicken or the egg problem right now.  Jingle voice isn't supported in the most popular XMPP applications (especially Conversations) so it's difficult for us to justify spending the time implementing it.  But once that changes, we'll be happy to add that support.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/