[guardian-dev] jmp.chat - SMS for XMPP (Zom/ChatSecure/Conversations/etc)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Sep 27 09:12:14 EDT 2017

Denver Gingerich <denver at ossguy.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 08:40:36PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I would like to understand why you recommend CSipSimple.  I had trouble
>> with it when using ostel.co.  I am fuzzy on the details, but I think it
>> would start using CPU time after there was a cell->wifi handover or the
>> reverse and not recover.    But more seriously it appears to have no
>> functioning upstream, and the last release was in 2014.
>
> The main reason for recommending CSipSimple is that it appears to be
> the only Android SIP client that reliably rings on incoming calls.
> User reports suggest that other SIP clients (including the built-in
> client) often miss calls, which we want to avoid.

I see.  That may be true on linphone.  I didn't end up talking to people
much on sip as it was.

> While CSipSimple does appear to be somewhat unmaintained, we're not

If it's only "somewhat", that's much better than I thought.  I was
unable to find an upstream repo or bugtracker, or a single person who
was paying attention.  If you have pointers to anything, it would be
good to add those to your page.

> aware of any particular bugs that would cause it to be insecure or
> otherwise unsuitable for the JMP use case.  Perhaps if we acquire more
> resources we will be able to maintain it going forward.  We'll see!
>
>> I have used linphone instead, which seems maintained.  However the most
>> recent version is not yet available on f-droid.
>
> Linphone seems to work well for many people, though it doesn't ring as
> reliably as CSipSimple.  If your use case doesn't require that, then
> it may be exactly what you're looking for.

It might be easier for you to fix the reliablity problems with linhphone
than to resurrect csipsimple :-)

>> I gather Ring can do regular SIP too.
>
> I didn't know that, and haven't tested it.  If you find it works well,
> we'd be happy to hear about it.

Sure, I would post if I get that far.  I have been unethusiastic about
running ring because it publishes one's IP address into a DHT, which is
suboptimal from a location privacy viewpoint....   But perhaps ring w/o
ring works.

Thanks for the reply, and the jingle comments.