[guardian-dev] Google Play offline peer to peer installs beta

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Oct 24 09:07:16 EDT 2018

Nathan of Guardian:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018, at 3:56 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Google has added app swapping to Play.  Seems we weren't so crazy after all.
>>
>> http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/hsDu/~3/UT0RC4CPQkk/offline-p2p-installs-beta.html
>>

> ...though the goal for this is more about data efficiency, and not app censorship resistance. I assume this won't work in places where Play is blocked, or even where a certain app is not allowed to be distributed.

Seems like they are integrating with other apps to do the nearby swap
services. For example, SHAREit is an officially annointed app for that.
 So that'll certainly work Google/Play is blocked.  But it'll only work
with apps that are in Play, that seems certain.

Seems like they've learned from our example with F-Droid.

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556