[guardian-dev] tor browser troubles

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Jul 13 20:18:09 EDT 2019

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate  place or  not, but I seem to be
getting tor browser alpha and now non-alpha from the guardian project
f-droid repo.

I was on the "tor browser for android (alpha)" program for quite some
time.  There was just an update to 60.8.0.  Installing that (I think the
arm64 build) caused the app to crash (I think just after connecting to
tor) repeatedly, while 60.7.0 worked fine.

I then noticed there is also "Tor Browser", also at 60.8.0.  I
uninstalled the alpha, and installed "Tor Browser" (armeabi-v7a), and it
works fine.

I also noticed that the non-alpha no longer incorrectly claims you need
orbot.

So it seems like the alpha should perhaps be discontinued.  I guess
that means people don't get to migrate state, but that seems ok for
leaving alpha.

Thanks  to everyone who works on this; I am now used to the Internet of
Onion Things and wouldn't want to be without.