[guardian-dev] jitsi-monitor to track basic data about all known public instances

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Mon Apr 6 08:31:05 EDT 2020

Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner (2020-04-06 12:11:05)
> With everyone needing video conferencing these days, there has been an
> explosion of public Jitsi Meet instances, which is great to see.  In
> order to help people choose which one works for them, I have set up
> "jitsi-monitor", it runs once a day on all known public Jitsi Meet
> instances and gathers some basic data on them:
>
> * configuration including STUN servers, analytics, etc.
> * TLS settings and connection timing
> * TCP traceroute
> * what else?

Are you interested only in Jitsi Meet instances?

If more generally interested in Open standards and Free licensed
instances, I can recommend to also try locate services using
SylkServer/Janus/Mediasoup/Licode/Medooze/Spreed/BigBlueButton/OpenMeetings,
and identify at each _service_ which underlying engine/framework is used
to aid in reliability issues.

Concretely it seems Jiti Meet works reliably only when _all_
participants in a room use a Chromium-based web browser:
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/issues/475

My guess is that Jitsi Meet fails to parse SDP data in the
standards-compliant "unified" format and only properly handles "plan B"
style as used by Chromium-based browsers.  And my guess is that other
engines/frameworks perform differently at that.  I am unaware that
anyone has tested for this type of problem.

Matrix instances use Jitsi Meet.

NextCloud instances use Spreed.

https://sip2sip.info/ uses SylkServer.

https://letsmeet.no/ uses Mediasoup.

 - Jonas

P.S.  I manitain some notes on the topic at
https://source.redpill.dk/media-stream-hosting.git/tree