[guardian-dev] call forwarding

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Thu Apr 23 19:36:18 EDT 2020

Hello,

I don't know of anything that does this on a dedicated manner, but it could
certainly be done.  Basically you could write an app for Android that would
do this, and have a "sending" and a "receiving" app that does the two
halves. Network traffic analysis could determine the link.  A more robust
solution would be to use an industrial cellular modem and make a little
device that does the relaying and presents a standard SIP interface and
could be hosted.  I'm actually living in the middle of the outback where
there is no cellular coverage, but receiving SMS would be handy (and my
carrier doesn't do VoLTE etc), so this kind of solution would even be
useful in such situations.  Can also be used to indirectly relay a cellular
signal down from, say, a hill, down to a house in a valley that lacks
decent cellular coverage via a wifi shot.

So in short, I think it is both possible, and has a bunch of potential uses.

It could fit under NLnet Foundation's "Privacy Protecting Technologies"
focus.

Another variation would be to have a privacy protecting phone that has the
"cellular half" detatchable with WiFi built in, so that you can choose when
you want to do this or not.  This would be possible with the MEGAphone
concept that we are already working on with NLnet.

Paul.