[guardian-dev] Fwd: NitroPad: Secure Laptop With Unique Tamper Detection

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Jan 16 05:28:46 EST 2020

I hear you, and I've similar things from others. Fairphone is in a
similar boat.  I think we need to compare apples to apples here: what
Nitrokey, Librem and Fairphone are trying to do is important, no other
providers are doing those things better.  Things like:

* true free software support
* hardware switches
* repairability
* conflict-free minerals

.hc

Abel Luck:
> I have a Purism Librem v3 (the 13" model) and I have to say I am not
> very happy with it.
>
> From a privacy pov, it's nice. ME can be disabled manually. The hardware
> switches are very handy. Rather than ship binary blobs for the bluetooth
> driver, they left that feature out, not compromising. Which I like.
>
> However from an ergonomics/usability pov, I am quite dissatisfied. When
> I say the keyboard is bad, I'm not a keyboard snob. It truly is just a
> bad keyboard, I really dread having to go on the road and use the
> keyboard for any length of time. The trackpad quality is also very low.
>
> Also the laptop comes with a usb c port, which is basically useless as
> it doesn't support thunderbolt, which means no adapter for ethernet or
> external displays. Waste of a port!
>
> I wouldn't buy another Librem :/
>
> That NitroPad looks interesting, but the deal breaker for me is the
> 1366x768 px screen. So small! 1920x1080 is the minimum I would ever get
> in a laptop again.
>
> ~abel
>
> Devrandom:
>> This is a Lenovo.  The Purism laptop goes to 32GB and has hardware kill
>> switches.  It also has secure boot with the Nitrokey and the TPM option,
>> but I didn't try it (yet).
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 4:19 AM Hans-Christoph Steiner <
>> hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>>

>>> Looks like quite a nice laptop setup for privacy:

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556