[guardian-dev] Introducing the witness angel concept

Pascal Chambon pythoniks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 12:09:57 EST 2020

Hello everyone,

I've become quite curious and enthousiastic about your projects like
Proofmode and CameraV, which meet part of the concerns I've dealt with
for a few years.

On my side I have begun to develop a concept called "Witness Angel",
which relies on an encryption scheme which might be called "Write Only".

There could be strong synergies between these two projects, since the
Witness Angel doesn't have your level of sophistication regarding
sensors and low consumption, but write-only encryption enables a very
wide use, without ever threatening the privacy of citizens (especially
in countries like French where non-declared recordings are mostly illegal).

The witness angel is somehow like an airplane black box, in that it is
only meant (and, actually, only readable) when a crime was committed,
thanks to trusted third-parties which keep decryption key parts in their
safe. It especially shines in cases of harassment, aggression,
commercial swindle, and lots of other "explicit" crimes.  (We currently
have tons of scandals in France around that currently, since criminals
run free for decades until statutes of limitations expires.)

At the moment the Witness Angel is a prototype of mobile application,
but the goal in the long run is to turn it into a connected objects. I'd
love it to become a smartwatch able to record+encrypt wide-angle camera
streams on-the-fly, however performance and autonomy wise, I'm still
unclear about what's really feasible with today's technology.

Here are a few details about this concept :
https://witness-angel.prolifik.net/

May I have your thoughts about these ideas, about other projects it
might be related to, about their potential synergies with Guardian Project?

thanks in advance,
best regards,
Pascal Chambon