[guardian-dev] Fwd: A low key (yet productive!) week for the Symposium Extraordinaire

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Jun 4 22:15:22 EDT 2020

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	A low key (yet productive!) week for the Symposium Extraordinaire
Date: 	Thu, 4 Jun 2020 22:14:48 -0400
From: 	Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info>
To: 	cleaninsights-announce at lists.guardianproject.info

/Greetings, excellent extraordinaires/. It has been quite a week, quite
a month, quite a year, so far. We thought it was hard to figure out how
to organize and run a symposium during a pandemic, now we have a
righteous uprising for justice on top of that? It makes us nearly want
to pack up our circus, so we can run off to the protest. That said, we
have done our best to stay quietly focused and keep the momentum we have
built going to finishing off this symposium extraordinaire in a worthy
manner.

This week, we've been busy here in week 4, and have three excellent
outputs of our work and research to share with you.

* *Podcast Keynote: Nathan Freitas on “Modeling the Threats of
Measurement”. *
o Listen now
<https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/cleaninsights-threatmodeling.html>
or subscribe via Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/en-garde-the-guardian-project-podcast/id1505562297>
or RSS <https://guardianproject.info/podcast/podcast.xml>
o Download and view the PDF presentation
<https://cleaninsights.org/assets/docs/CleanInsights-ThreatModelingForMeasurementandAnalytics.pdf>
that accompanies this podcast talk.
o You can watch a video of this talk with slides on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt6ac3WoogA&feature=youtu.be>
or the Internet Archive
<https://archive.org/details/clean-insights-threat-modeling-for-measurement>
*

*Work Session: “Draw Data with Me: Qubes OS” - 2 minute video -
watch now on **YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UEv8hL-doI>**or the **Internet
Archive <https://archive.org/details/draw-data-with-qubes-no-sound>*

                We all gathered around on a jitsi meet to brainstorm,
if, just maybe IF, it was possible to add measurement to a privacy and
security-focused OS like Qubes, what might you want or need to measure
to make it better. What news threats

*

*Research Report by Okthanks: **“Learning from Open-Source Tool
Teams about Privacy Preserving Measurement”
<http://localhost:4000/assets/docs/CI User Research Report, April
2020-Public.pdf>*

The Clean Insights work grew out of the need for open-source
teams to have a better understanding of how their apps are used
and the impact they have. Its immediate focus is to provide a
solution for small-medium sized open source teams. This report
represents the user research that was done to understand the
needs of various open-source teams.

We held interviews with the following 10 tool teams who are part
of the BASICS project led by Internews. They include TunnelBear,
OONI, Least Authority, Qubes OS, KeePassXC, MISP,
CalyxOS, Umbrella App, Psiphon, and Tella.

Check out our full schedule past, future and present activities:
https://cleaninsights.org/event-schedule#week-of-june-1---human-pyramid-the-grand-finale

*THERE WILL BE NO LIVE SESSION TOMORROW (FRIDAY)... WE WILL TUESDAY AT
2pm UTC / 10am Eastern US
*

**Next week, will be LE GRANDE FINALE, where we will be drawing
conclusions, both literally and figuratively, and attempting some
amazing, gravity and assumption-defying feats to bring this symposium to
a close.

Until then, please go express yourself, have conversations, and engage
with those around you on the important topics of the moment. Racism and
violence, especially from those in positions of power and authority, has
no place in our modern world.

Nathan and the Team Extraordinaire!