[guardian-dev] LE GRANDE FINALE... of the Symposium Extraordinaire!

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Jun 11 22:52:47 EDT 2020

Tomorrow is /*LE GRANDE FINALE!*/ of the /_Clean Insights Symposium
Extraordinaire_/... however, this really isn't the end, only the
beginning of our six month set of development sprints, to bring all of
the ideas and possibilities we have discussed to fruition.

(If you want to catch up on our last month of discussions, activities,
work sessions and other fun, focused on privacy-preserving measurement,
check out the entire visually engaging backlog here:
https://cleaninsights.org/event-schedule )

 Even though this unusual, experimental month+ long asynchronous event
is coming to a close, we will still be regularly producing podcast,
videos, reports, guides and updates for you, as we progress along this
journey towards useful, ethical measurement and analytics tools for app
developers. We also have a number of discussions we still want to have
with many of you on this list, and others out there. Finite time and
world events have intervened, with some of our energy and attention
rightfully focused elsewhere in the last few weeks. Stay tuned for more,
and please subscribe to our podcast or register for the mailing list if
you have not already, and are interested!

*LIVE Tomorrow **2pm UTC/10am ET/9am CT. Join here:
https://meet.keanu.im/cleanInsightsLive/ *

Short Presentation: “Next steps for Clean Insights as an SDK”

Group Discussion: “Can Analytics Be Ethical? Are you ready to measure
more meaningfully?”

*Work Session Podcast: “How to Measure Círculo, an app built on Safety,
Security, and Privacy?” *

The teams from Guardian Project, Okthanks and Article 19 Mexico talk
about Circulo, a collaborative effort to develop a digital tool for
journalists in Mexico to join secure, private circles of support to
defend against violence and harassment both online and offline. The
project, currently available as an Android app in beta, is now
considering how it might enable a Clean Insights style of app
measurement and analytics, and if so to what ends and purpose? What is
the beneficial insight to be gained, and is it worth it considering the
additional risks users might be exposed to with additional data resident
on their devices.

* Watch 2 minute video on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUoRfbWxcwM&feature=youtu.be> or
the Internet Archive

<https://archive.org/details/circulo-draw-data-with-me-final>
* Listen to the episode now
<https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/cleaninsights-circulo.html>
or subscribe via Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/en-garde-the-guardian-project-podcast/id1505562297>
or RSS <https://guardianproject.info/podcast/podcast.xml>

*Position Paper "On the Classification of Tracking" *
I also wanted to include a recent position paper post by Hans-Christoph
Steiner and his team from the "Track the Trackers" project, which we are
coordinating with as part of our work on Clean Insights.

You can find it at:
https://guardianproject.info/2020/05/20/on-the-classification-of-tracking/

This position paper tries to outline a framework for defining trackers
in smart phones and lists mechanisms for identifying them. It hopes to
serve as the foundation for the work done in the Tracking-the-Trackers
project.

****

All the best from the Extraordinaire team,
Carrie, Nathan, Gina, Tiffany, Fabby, Hans and beyond!