[guardian-dev] Fwd: NitroPad: Secure Laptop With Unique Tamper Detection

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Mar 5 04:49:23 EST 2020

Quoting Abel Luck (2020-03-05 10:23:10)

> Devrandom:
> > AFAIK, all librem laptops work with 32GB DIMMs, even though they are
> > not "certified".
>
> Are you sure? Even the old models?
>
> I have a Librem 13 v2 and was told by Purism support that 16GB is the
> maximum supported due to the mobo. It is also DDR3L not DDR4.
>
> AFAIK 32GB max mem landed in early 2019.

Seems we are talking about two (maybe 3) different things here:

 * Some (maybe all) Librem laptops has only 1 RAM slot
 * Purism previously (possibly still) sell only up to 16GB RAM
   due to bigger single-slot RAM being to expensive/difficult to get
 * Maybe(!) some/all Librem laptops CANNOT address more than 16GB RAM

I think the last point is a misunderstanding - a confusion of the first
2 points.  That confusion might have been communicated even by Purism
support team at some point..

And again, I seem to recall some of my colleagues¹ mentioning that first
model had 2 slots.

Official facts about Librem hardware (which isn't much, unfortunately)
is collected at https://docs.puri.sm/

 - Jonas

¹ I work for Purism, but on Debian packaging, not on the hardware side.