[guardian-dev] Binge listen to "En Garde!", the Guardian Project podcast!

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon May 4 13:35:34 EDT 2020

Greetings all! Since we won't be traveling soon to see each other in
person at IFF, RightsCon, dev meetings, training workshops and all the
other wonderful kind of gatherings, we at Guardian Project have decided
to re-commit ourselves to a more proactive and multimedia approach to
communicating with all of you fantastic folks.

To do so, we've finally made a real podcast, which you can find here:
https://guardianproject.info/podcast and the other usual places like
Apple and Google's podcast apps. Just search "En Garde Guardian"

There is truly something for everyone, from Fabiola talking about our
work in physical security with Article 19 and journalists in Mexico, to
an discussion on the design work contributed by Kaci of Okthanks, to
Hans-Christoph and I diving into that every popular topic of Jitsi Meet
vs Zoom, open-source vs closed. We are also dabbling in video sometimes,
which are linked from the post notes.

Our podcast is a lovingly crafted by hand as a Jekyll static site
(https://gitlab.com/guardianproject/engarde-podcast), all self-hosted,
including the mp3's. There are no 3rd party trackers in the code, or in
the mp3 downloads. We mostly use Audacity and Jitsi Meet to record the
episodes and interviews. This all took me much longer to figure out than
I would like to admit...

Anyhow, when you tire of yet another new show on Netflix, or the ongoing
drone of news from public radio, come join us at En Garde! Much more
soon in the coming days and weeks, including hopefully having many of
you on as guests!

****
Recent episodes...

*Clean Insights: Privacy-Preserving Measurement*

Nathan talks about Clean Insights, the old/new work getting underway on
privacy-preserving measurement.

https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/episode7-cleaninsights.html

*Círculo: untos nos mantenemos Seguros     *

En este episodio, Fabby, encargada de las Relaciones Comunitarias,
platica con Vladimir Cortez y Martha Tudon de la oficina de Articulo 19
en Mexico para hablar de Circulo, un esfuerzo colaborativo entre
OkThanks, Articulo 19 y Guardian Project para crear una herramienta
digital que ayude a las mujeres periodistas en Mexico a crear redes de
apoyo, reenforzar sus protocolos de seguridad y al mismo tiempo ser una
herramienta confiable, que pueda garantizar su privacidad, anonimidad y
transparencia de datos.

https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/episode6-circulo-espanol.html

(and also in English "Círculo: Stay Safe Together":
https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/episode6-circulo.html)

*Kaci of Okthanks on Design, People Being People and Moving On*

Nathan talks with Kaci B of our amazing design partner Okthanks on her
work with us over the last few years. While we have always cared about
the usability of our apps, we rarely had the ability to fund skilled
professional designers to be part our team. This changed about six or
seven years ago when we began to include meaningful funding and support
for resources and time to work on usability and design in our
development process.

https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/episode5-kaci-on-design.html

*Moving Beyond the Confines of Zoom to a Marvelous Plentitude of Jitsi*

"Nathan talks with Hans-Christoph Steiner, longtime Guardian Project
member, about the open-source voice and video conference tool Jitsi
Meet, and his efforts to help monitor and hopefully improve the quality
of those services."

https://guardianproject.info/podcast/2020/episode4-jitsi_monitor.html