[guardian-dev] Screen reader support

Reece O'Bryan reeceobryan at icloud.com
Sat Mar 6 14:01:40 EST 2021

Hello,

I would first like to say how much I appreciate the work that is done by this project. Every single application helps save lives and create better ones through privacy.

However, I am pretty sure you are unaware of this, but the design of your apps are missing tiny fraction of code that make them an accessible to those that use screen readers. Buttons, labels and images need to be marked with alternative text so that screen readers such as voiceover (iOS) and Talk Back (Android) can navigate the app. It will be is as simple as adding alternative text and code to name the given elements and that is all that is needed for your apps to be accessible to an entire population of people like myself that are blind or visually impaired.

This is a good resource also explaining what I am talking about:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/accessibility_for_ios_and_tvos/supporting_voiceover_in_your_app?back=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26as_qdr%3Dall%26as_occt%3Dany%26safe%3Dactive%26as_q%3Dhow%20to%20make%20app%20accessible%20with%20voiceover%20screen%20reader%26channel%3Daplab%26source%3Da-app1%26hl%3Den

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Accessibility/Mobile_accessibility_checklist

The same process needs to be applied to the images on your website to explain exactly what the image entails. Thank you,

-Reece O’Bryan
C: (502)-827-3724
1645 Parkway, Sevierville, TN 37862
thing in this email is the opinion of myself and does not reflect that of any organization or company I am affiliated with.
This email is confidential and if you weren’t the intended recipient  them please destroy this immediately.