[guardian-dev] node.js advice needed to unstick DeltaChat packaging work

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Fri Mar 26 06:02:39 EDT 2021

Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner (2021-03-26 09:18:55)

> I think DeltaChat is awesome and want to help spread it to more
> platforms I can do the Debian packaging work, and help with the
> flatpak, but I know zero about node.js.  Anyone know node.js and want
> to help unstick packaging DeltaChat for Debian/Ubuntu and getting it
> building on arm64/rpi?
>
> https://github.com/flathub/chat.delta.desktop/issues/48#issuecomment-803315421

I think the way to solve this is to first get Electron packaged for
Debian, and then package Delta-chat linked with it.

I highly suspect that issues upstream experience with linking against
Electron are different from the issues that may or may not be with doing
linking with Debian-packaged Electron, because of the fundamentally
different packaging approaches.

I.e. distributing Electron with npm would mean either triggering a
gigantic compilation process or shipping pre-compiled binary code which
may or may not be usable on the target hardware architecture.

Effort of packaging Electron is tracked at
https://bugs.debian.org/842420 and (as also referenced in that
bugreport) the underlying dependency tree is mapped out at
https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript/Nodejs/Tasks/electron

I propose that you ask at that bugreport how you can help.

Regards,

 - Jonas