[Lowdown] MF/PL Lowdown for January, 2008

Alfredo Lopez alfredo at mayfirst.org
Sun Jan 20 01:32:51 EST 2008

Greetings All!!!

Our first LowDown of 2008 has two items: one about MF/PL services and
the other about a critically important activity MF/PL is involved in.

First the service announcement. A change in the web email system that
represents a real improvement! :-)

Late monday night, January 21, we plan to complete a major upgrade of
our webmail system. After the upgrade, we will be asking all members to
check their webmail by visiting a single address:
https://members.mayfirst.org instead of visiting the addresses you are
currently using (such as https://secure.mayfirst.org or
https://chavez.mayfirst.org/horde3, etc.).

To help remind you, we will leave help pages on the old addresses that
will provide links to the new address, asking you to update your bookmarks.

NOTE: If you do not use webmail (for example, you use Thunderbird to
check your email) you will not be affected by this service advisory. You
will only be affected if you use May First/People Link webmail.

We usually don't include service advisories like this via our Lowdown
list - however, we are making this exception because this upgrade will
affect most of our users. In the future - to receive information about
service advisories, please subscribe to our service advisories list. You
can find information about our service advisories list (and other ways
to stay in touch with May First/People Link) by visiting:

https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/email_announcement_lists

This email improvement is part of a program of improvements we're
working on to make our organization even more of a mutually supportive
community. It includes a new website and a special members' blogging
site; but more on that soon.

Now...the other item: the NYC Grass Roots Media Conference

The NYC Grassroots Media Alliance is holding its 2008 conference on
Sunday, March 2. This is a major event for May Firs/People Link. The
Alliance is a member, we're involved in the planning work for the
conference (and, as you might guess, the website and other on-line
communications) and consider this conference to be a very important one
for the progressive movement and particularly the media activist
movement in the New York area.

We're planning a big workshop that day and already know that there are
many excellent workshops being planned and many media activists
attending who you'll want to make contant with. So, first off, be sure
to mark your calendars. More information, including workshop proposal
guidelines are available on their website:

http://nycgrassrootsmedia.org/.

And we're encouraging members to submit proposals for workshops as well.
Take a look at the guidelines, think together and talk it over in your
organization (or with other organizations you work with) and propose it.
We'll do what we can to publicize it and are already thinking of ways to
support members' workshops that way.

The conference page is at

http://nycgrassrootsmedia.org/conference

Lastly, on behalf of the Co-Directors of May First/People Link, may I
wish you all a wonderful, peaceful and successful New Year and thank
you, as always, for giving us the privilege of working with you.

Abrazos,

Alfredo

--
Alfredo Lopez, Co-Director