[Lowdown] LowDown - Our Event at the upcoming Social Forum of the Americas

Alfredo Lopez alfredo at mayfirst.org
Sun Sep 21 15:38:49 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

After the last couple of unbelievably dramatic weeks, I don't think I
have to make much of an argument about how important it is to work
within out Hemisphere towards collaborative relations among our peoples.

Well...so this is a great time to have a Hemispheric Social Forum and,
guess what?, there's one coming up. The Social Forum of the Americas is
taking place in Guatemala starting October 7 and I can't think of a
moment when an event of this type was more appropriate.

Several of our member organizations are attending and MF/PL itself is
being represented by Co-Director Jamie McClelland and member Maritza
Arrastia. We are doing our Collaborative Democracy workshop, the one we
did at the U.S. Social Forum last year and have done at many conferences
and events since then.

But this time, we're significantly expanding the workshop's scope and
that's why I'm writing. We want you to consider
participating...especially if you're not going. :-) Let me explain.

The workshop usually attempts to put together a statement of Internet
rights through collaborative discussions using Internet technology. This
time, we're going to do a statement of rights for Internet users
throughout the Hemisphere and think about ways to work to push for and
realize those rights.

And the workshop itself will reflect that hemipheric approach.

It will be held in three locations: San Carlos University (the site of
the Social Forum of the Americas), the Brecht Forum in New York and a
location still being organized in Caracas, Venezuela. This isn't three
workshops in three places. This is one simultaneously conducted
workshop, over the Internet, with participants in those three places.

It's an attempt to start working on a model for collaboration among the
people, movements and organizations of the Americas: to grapple with the
differences in perceived Internet needs and rights (and how those are
prioritized) as well as culture and language and the basics democratic
collaboration. Many of the planners are hoping that this "model" can
help contribute to collaborations of this type in many areas.

We have a planning committee working on the event and some ideas about
how to make it successful at the Social Forum and in Venezuela but we
really need your involvement to make it happen in New York.

The event at the Brecht Forum is open to all our members and we're
especially asking member organizations to send a couple of representatives.

The problem is that we're not sure when our workshop is going to take
place although we think it will probably happen around October 9 or 10,
hopefully during the afternoon. But that's up to the organizers of the
Social Forum and they haven't ironed those details out quite yet. (BTW,
Guatemala is two hours earlier than New York).

We're writing this now to let you know it's happening so that folks are
prepared. In its own way, this could be a historic event and, at the
very least, we want to demonstrate to our brothers and sisters in those
other locations that we here in this country are serious about this kind
of collaboration: one that is essential to guaranteeing all our futures.

Mark the date, think about who from your organization can attend, plan
to bring along a laptop if you have one and we'll be back to you as soon
as we know the details.

Mallory Knodel is coordinating outreach for the U.S. part of the
workshop and so if you have questions or want to let us know you're
coming, etc. email her

mallory at mayfirst.org

And, btw, for those attending this week's Critical Resistance Conference
in Oakland, we will be there doing our workshop -- Josue Guillen, Daniel
Kahn Gillmor and I will be on hand -- come on in and participate and, in
any case, come by our table and say hello.

Abrazos,

Alfredo

--
Alfredo Lopez, Co-Director