[Lowdown] MFPL Upcoming Social Forum Event(s)

Alfredo Lopez alfredo at mayfirst.org
Tue Jan 20 18:30:19 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

This is going to all members and friends from this list. It's about our
activities at the upcoming World Social Forum in Belem, Brazil.

These are very important events for MF/PL.

The upcoming World Social Forum occurs in a period of enormous
uncertainty and unveiling crisis world-wide. There are many attempts
being made to develop a response and our contribution is to use our
collaborative democracy software to begin "across borders" collaborative
thinking about a response.

We're also going to pay a lot of attention to young people: the folks
who are going to have to carry the weight in facing the problem and
developing a solution. So we're doing the US branch of the event at
Urban Academy (High School) here in NYC.

We're planning several events of this type in the coming two years so
this first one is critical and we want you to consider joining us or, at
the very least, sending this around to everyone you know.

In addition, our friends at Indigenous Voices are holding a
cross-continental screening of Steven Heape's film The Trail of Tears
Cherokee Legacy at Bluestocking Bookstore in NYC and in Belem. We're
supporting that fully.

So...here's all the info. Questions or reactions, get in touch with us.
Otherwise, please get in touch with everyone else you know.

Abrazos,

Alfredo

--
Alfredo Lopez, Co-Director
May First/People Link

-------------

Join May First/People link for two World Social Forum events on
Thursday, January 29, here in New York City!

* Thursday, January 29, 4:00 pm, Hemispheric Economic Agenda through
Collaborative Democracy Workshop, Urban Academy High School
* Thursday, January 29, 7:00 pm, Screening: Trail of Tears Cherokee
Legacy, Bluestockings Bookstore

­The World Social Forum (­http://www.fsm2009amazonia.org.br/) since its
beginning and up to 2009 has been the most important yearly event in the
anti-globalization movement. In January 2008, the WSF organized it's
first global day of action, inspiring decentralized actions around the
world. In October 2008, May First/Peope Link hosted a simultaneous
workshop in Guatemala City and New York City during the Social Forum of
the Americas, helping to grow the vision of the WSF as a decentralized
process. In 2009, May First/People Link is being represented in Brazil
by member Mallory Knodell. Meanwhile, we are planning two simultaneous
events in New York and other locations.

For more information, contact: Mallory (mallory at mayfirst.org)  or Jamie
(jamie at mayfirst.org)­

  Get involved: http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009e-newyork

== Hemispheric Economic Agenda through Collaborative Democracy Workshop ==

Join together, in real time, with participants of the World Social Forum
in Belem Brazil and participants in Sherbrooke, Canada, for a
simultaneous workshop to build a Hemispheric Economic Agenda through a
collaborative democracy workshop. This workshop is a unique opportunity
for those of us in New York to attend the forum, interact directly with
other activists from the Americas, and begin building a collaborative
and democratic Economic agenda for the Hemisphere.

DATE: Thursday, January 29
TIME: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm America/New York time
LOCATION: Urban Academy, New York City (with remote participants from
the World Social Forum in Belem Brazil and Sherbrooke University in
Quebec, Canada)
DIRECTIONS: Urban Academy, 317 E. 67th Street, between first and second
Avenues, take the 6 train 68th Street/Hunter College.

If you cannot participate in person, you can follow the action online at
http://fsm2009.mayfirst.org/.

  The workshop is designed to be inter-generational. The NYC location is
being held at Urban Academy and will include a high school student
contigent. Similarly, the Sherbrooke location will draw heavily from
Sherbrooke University students.

All ages are welcome at all locations.

The workshop will be based on our Internet rights workshop, presented at
the US Social Forum and several other conferences since then, in which
we use the Internet itself to collaboratively build a common document.
However, for this workshop we will be building a Hemispheric Economic
plan, we will be operating in four languages, and we will have
participants in three different cities.

The workshop is an attempt to start working on a model for collaboration
among the people, movements and organizations of the Americas: to
grapple with the differences in perceived economic needs and rights (and
how those are prioritized) as well as culture and language and the
basics of democratic collaboration. Many of the planners are hoping that
this "model" can help contribute to collaborations of this type in many
areas.

  Press release:
http://openfsm.net/projects/fsm2009e-newyork/collaborative-democracy-press-release-en

== Indigenous Voices Screening: Trail of Tears Cherokee Legacy ==

Indigenous Voices presents The Trail of Tears Cherokee Legacy (2006, 94
minutes), a documentary from Rich-Heape Films starring James Earl Jones,
James Garner, and Wes Studi. The film explores America’s darkest period:
President Andrew Jackson’s Indian Removal Act of 1830 and the forced
removal of the Cherokee Nation to Oklahoma in 1838. An open, online
discussion between New York and Belem follows the screening.

DATE: Thursday, January 29
TIME: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm America/New York time
LOCATIONS: Bluestockings Bookstore, New York City (with remote
participants from the World Social Forum in Belem Brazil and the film
producers in Dallas, Texas)
DIRECTIONS: Bluestockings: Allen and Rivington Street in the Lower East
Side, take the F train to 2nd Avenue.

  Press release:
http://firstvoicesindigenousradio.org/images/ivpr_12_28_2008.pdf