[Lowdown] July 2010

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Fri Jul 9 19:05:51 EDT 2010

LOWDOWN JULY 2010

MEMBER NEWS: DMCA take-down: Tachanka collective | US Techie Congress
MF/PL EVENTS & NOTICES: Debconf10
US SOCIAL FORUM: Lowdown Special Edition | Final Press Release
NEW MEMBERS
MF/PL MEMBERS, DID YOU KNOW: xxx
SERVER NAMESAKES: viewsic

MEMBER NEWS

The political spoof site http://metr0.co.uk is still up and running. The
site is a spoof of http://metro.co.uk, a tabloid specializing in
celebrity gossip and distributed widely in England by the Associated
Newspapers Ltd company. The spoof website, which is the online version
of a printed spoof newspaper distributed in London, UK, is hosted on a
server maintained by the plentyfact collective. The newspaper and site
are responses to a call for two days of action against racist press
called by the social action centre. The website is physically located in
the United States on one of May First/People Link's servers managed by
the Tachanka collective, an MF/PL member. The full press release is
here: https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/metrospoof

The first United States Techie Congress was a huge success! The
convergence of 40 - 50 technologists was part of the People's Movement
Assembly at the United States Social Forum. Sponsors of the event
include Agaric Design, Open Flows, the Progressive Technology Project,
and May First/People Link. The full results are here:
http://ussf2010.meetings.mayfirst.org/board

EVENTS & NOTICES

New York City, USA, October 30, 2009 - The Debian Project, the team
behind the free Debian GNU/Linux operating system, confirmed the dates
and venue for its next annual conference, DebConf10. The conference will
take place from August 1 to 7, 2010, at Columbia University, in New York
City, USA, in cooperation with the Columbia Computer Science department.
In DebConf's eleven-year history, this will be the first time it has
been held in the United States of America. More information, and to
register, is here: http://debconf.org/

US SOCIAL FORUM, DETROIT, JUNE 22-26Our organization was, as you all
know, in the lead of the tech work at the United States Social Forum.
Social Forum work worldwide is among priorities. But our work in Detroit
last month was probably MF/PL's most distinguished and intense "outreach
and support" work in our history.

Under the direction of MFPL Leadership Committee member and USSF
National Technology Coordinator Mallory Knodel, we got ourselves a
Techie House (a huge loft that could and would eventually house over 30
people). For a couple of weeks, techies from all over the country stayed
there: communing, collaborative on work, comparing solutions and just
plain getting to know one and another.

Representatives on the tech team included half of MFPL's Leadership
Committee; organizational members Openflows, Agaric Design, and Rad Ref
(as well as several individual members); close allies Riseup and Radical
Designs; and our international allies from the world and European social
forums.

Among our tasks, we stored and upgraded to Linux about 30 to 40 borrowed
and donated computers. Then we installed the computer system at the
Registration areas in Cobo Hall as well as upstairs in the People's
Media Center (where our techie team was stationed).

It wasn't all smooth. There were glitches, challenges and delays
(particularly the first day) but, in the end, we registered about 15,000
through our systems. We supported and assisted many organizations in the
People's Media Center including our friends at Free Speech TV who
broadcast the entire Social Forum.

We also streamed the entire Social Forum.using Free Speech's feed:
another huge first for us.

There's lots was wanted to do and couldn't. We're evaluating that and
will be for months to come. We already know that problems not under our
control forced us to reorganize our resources and concentrate on the
basics at the Forum and forego some planned expansions. There is no
question, however, that we did our job, that we involved a greater
number of techies than ever before, that we contributed more than ever
before to a Social Forum that was a huge step forward from the one in
2007 and that we were universally recognized for that work.

In addition, we did the Techie Congress and the first United States
Techie Congress was a huge success! The convergence of 40 - 50
technologists was part of the People's Movement Assembly at the Social
Forum and the first time in history that such an activity takes place.
The full results are here: http://ussf2010.meetings.mayfirst.org/board

The Techie Congress is part of our International efforts to organize
progressive techies world-wide.

Finally, we released a printed, special edition of the Lowdown for the
USSF last month. Excerpts from the publication include a statement from
the Co-directors Alfredo Lopez and Jamie McClelland, Principles for
Developing Technology, Technology Innovations at the USSF, and a
complete list of 70+ member organization's workshops! The full version
can be viewed and downloaded here:
https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/USSF_newspaper

Official Press Release: 06.28.2010 (DETROIT) The United States Social
Forum (USSF) closed Saturday with an inspirational national assembly and
closing ceremony. Today, the Forum's National Planning Committee (NPC)
declared the forum a great success with attendance of more than 15,000
people from Detroit, from rural and urban areas across the nation, and
from countries across the world including South Africa, Palestine,
Honduras and Nepal. The full press release can be found here:
http://www.pitchengine.com/second-us-social-forum-opens-new-chapter-in-us-movements-for-justice-equality-and-sustainability/72983/

WELCOME! NEW MF/PL MEMBERS

Fellowship of Reconciliation
Brooklyn Movement Center
Lannan Foundation

FYI: IF YOU'RE A MF/PL MEMBER, DO YOU KNOW...

... May First/People Link carries our struggle beyond our own borders.

We are a member of the Alliance for Progressive Communications
(http://apc.org). Founded in 1990, APC is an international network of
organizations fighting for a free and open internet to improve our lives
and create a more just world.

SERVER NAMESAKES: REVOLUTIONARIES & ACTIVISTS

Server Name: viewsic

This server is the only production server at May First/People Link that
does not have the name of a revolutionary or activist. It's also a very
important part of MF/PL history.

Before the merger of People Link and the May First Technology Collective
that produced this incarnation of our organization, Alfredo began
thinking about how video and audio would be "massified and popularized"
by the Internet. Even then, people who had enjoyed no access to these
technologies up to then were starting to do audio and video and People
Link figured that the distribution of that information would
revolutionize life and the movement.

So People Link launched a server specifically dedicated to that kind of
work and named it Viewsic (View for the video component and "sic" for
the music and audio that was being stored there). In fact, today's
Viewsic (MF/PL's oldest active server) is not the same computer that it
was back then (almost ten years ago). The server hard ware has been
replaced twice since then and it is today a general use production
server not just dedicated to media. But, in its current incarnation, it
proudly reflects the continuity of our organization and our commitment
to identifying and facilitating new and more powerful uses of this
technology.

Lowdown is published by May First/People Link. Have a notice or event?
Email mallory at mayfirst.org to be included in our monthly newsletter.

--
Mallory Knodel

May First/People Link Leadership
...Growing Networks to Build a Just World...

mayfirst.org
malloryknodel.net/blog