[Lowdown] Lowdown March 2010

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Wed Mar 3 14:19:37 EST 2010

LOWDOWN MARCH 2010

US Social Forum technology work heats up with workshop submission
deadline approaching. MF/PL initiates an ongoing, international techie
congress. Plus, the Lowdown has a new info section called "Server
Namesakes: Revolutionaries and Activists"!

MEMBER NEWS

Registration of workshops and self-organized activities ends this month
on March 20! That means, the USSF organizing process is really moving
along but we need your help. A thanks goes out to the techie members of
the ICT working group: Jamie McClelland, Ross Glover, Mark Libkuman, and
Joseph Lacey!

Members Left Forum and the Yes Men present "The Fair & Balanced Comedy
Show" with Lizz Winstead, Baratunde Thurston, John Fugelsang, Victor
Varnado, and Liam McEneaney. Register early and often:
http://leftforum.org/node/23 !

EVENTS & NOTICES

MF/PL has begun engaging an international techie community in weekly
chats online. You can easily join the chat each Wednesday at 3:00 pm
Eastern time at http://chat.indymedia.org channel #techie-congress.
These meetings are open-ended but intended to culminate in a 4-hour
international event at the US Social Forum.

Collaboration on Online Security Practices at the Brecht Forum was
successful. On February 22, 2010 Radical Reference joined MF/PL and
NYC-based techies to develop 10 best security practices to preserve free
and secure online collaboration. View the results
http://security201002.meetings.mayfirst.org/board.

Another important upcoming event will be at Bluestockings on March 12
for local NYC organizers to help build a movement towards the USSF in
Detroit. Please join us at 172 Allen Street on the Lower East Side:
www.bluestockings.com

WELCOME! NEW MF/PL MEMBERS

Karos Communications Architects
POC Zine Project
Stop AIDS in Liberia
Tibet Action
Collaborative Community Schools
Oakland Rising
Liberation Ink

FYI: IF YOU'RE A MF/PL MEMBER, DO YOU KNOW...

...we name our servers after activists and revolutionaries? You may have
wondered "OK, chavez I get, but who is julie?"

Welcome to our newest Lowdown section: MF/PL Server Namesakes. Read on...

SERVER NAMESAKES: REVOLUTIONARIES & ACTIVISTS

Server Name: rodolpho

Rodolfo González (June 18, 1928 – April 12, 2005) was a Mexican American
boxer, poet, and political activist. He convened the first-ever Chicano
youth conference in March 1969, which was attended by many future
Chicano activists and artists. The conference also promulgated the Plan
Espiritual de Aztlán, a manifesto demanding self-determination for
Chicanos. As an early figure of the movement for the equal rights of
Mexican Americans, he is often considered one of the founders of the
Chicano Movement. (From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodolfo_Gonzales)

Lowdown is published by May First/People Link