[Lowdown] November 2010

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Thu Nov 11 14:00:40 EST 2010

LOWDOWN NOVEMBER 2010

MF/PL members defend popular voices, organize for climate awareness, and
lift up struggles in occupied Palestine. And also this month we welcome
a new section to the Lowdown: "Internet Action" because the security of
MF/PL members' online interactions should be a huge concern for all of us.

MEMBER NEWS: Brecht Forum turns 35! | RMO on "It Gets Better"
MF/PL EVENTS & NOTICES: COP16 Cancun | WEF-Palestine, Oct 28 - 31
INTERNET ACTION: Fight the COICA Bill
NEW MEMBERS
MF/PL MEMBERS, DID YOU KNOW: Updates to the Control Panel
SERVER NAMESAKES: chun

MEMBER NEWS

Celebrate 35 Years of the Brecht Forum!

The Brecht Forum turns 35 this year and we think that's reason to
celebrate! We hope that you will join with the many friends, teachers,
students, organizers and supporters who have made the Brecht Forum the
largest and longest-running marxist educational center in the US. Now
more than ever, the work of the Brecht Forum is urgently needed. As we
celebrate 35 years of joining theory with practice, we are establishing
The Next Generation Fund with the goal of raising $350,000 to help
ensure that this work continues well into the future. Visit
http://brechtforum.org

Rude Mechanical Orchestra contributes to the It Gets Better campaign
with their own video:
http://rmo.mayfirst.org/it-gets-better-because-we-make-it-better

EVENTS & NOTICES

COP16 in Cancun, November 29 - December 10, 2010

The Conference of Parties (COP) climate negotiations will take place at
the end of the month in Cancun, Mexico. MF/PL members and membership
will be participating directly in the many convergences aimed at
advancing agendas for grassroots solutions and opposing market-based
policies. Join MF/PL as we serve the climate justice movement by
presenting the people's voices live from Cancun (more specific
information will be posted soon).

World Education Forum in Palestine, October 28 - 31, 2010

On Saturday, October 30, activists from cities around the world met,
on-line, with activists from the World Education Forum in Palestine to
develop a joint program of Educational Rights. The workshop was part of
the World Education Forum held in Palestine this year and included three
regions: New York, Indonesia, and Bethlehem.

INTERNET ACTION: Against the COICA Bill

The bill creates a blacklist for content delivery based on copyright,
which unfairly preferences only certain "legitimate" forms of
information sharing. Discover more details within the official text
here: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804

Take action and sign the petition: http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/coica

WELCOME! NEW MF/PL MEMBERS

Max Ajl
United Auto Workers

FYI: IF YOU'RE A MF/PL MEMBER, DO YOU KNOW...

... We have made big changes to the Member's Control Panel!

The control panel has undergone some major changes - most notably, you
can now add MySQL databases, MySQL users, and Drupal installations
yourself. We also have an improved user interface, with more changes coming.

SERVER NAMESAKES: REVOLUTIONARIES & ACTIVISTS

Server Name: chun

A labor activist from Daegu, Chun became a worker at a Peace Market
clothing manufacturer in Seoul at the age of 17 after attending a high
civic school for one year or so. On November 13, 1970, when the
demonstrators who had taken to the streets in front of Peace Market were
dispersed by the police, he burnt himself to death by splashing gasoline
on his whole body. His death provided a great momentum for the future
developments of labor movement and is rated to have opened a new horizon
for labor movement in the 1970s.

From http://www.kdemocracy.or.kr/mail/newsletter/mail_article_200508_01.html

Lowdown is published by May First/People Link. Have a notice or event?
Email mallory at mayfirst.org to be included in our monthly newsletter.

--
Mallory Knodel

May First/People Link Leadership
...Growing Networks to Build a Just World...

mayfirst.org
malloryknodel.net/blog