[Lowdown] Date error for WEF CD workshop

Alfredo Lopez alfredo at mayfirst.org
Sun Oct 24 15:25:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm sorry. I sent out the wrong date in the email on our upcoming
Collaborative Democracy workshop next weekend with the World Education
Forum in Palestine.

I'm correcting the date and sending out a bit more information below. If
you're able, you should come to this. Right now, it's a very important
thing to do.

Thanks.

- ------

Contact: Alfredo Lopez, alfredo at mayfirst.org, 347-675-0953

On Saturday, October 30, at 10:00 am Eastern (4:00 pm in Bethlehem),
activists from cities around the world will meet, on-line, with
activists from several Palestinian cities and locations to develop a
joint program of Educational Rights. The workshop is part of the World
Education Forum being held in Palestine this year.

This is important for many reasons, among them that the World Education
Forum, part of the World Social Forum movement, is an event that has
always been held in Brazil. Its being held in Palestine this year
represents a clear message of solidarity and recognition of the central
importance of the struggle in that region.

The two-part event is taking place in New York City at 10:00 am Eastern
Time Saturday, October 30 at:

The Brecht Forum
451 West Street (between Bank & Bethune Streets in New York City)
Phone: (212) 242-4201

and in Bethlehem at Bethlehem University.

(Note: anyone with a group of five people can fully participate in the
workshop from any place)

There are two parts to the workshop: a two hour live, on-line session
with all participants using May First/People Link's Collaborative
Democracy Workshop software and a one-hour, live video-streamed
"sharing" between school and education activists in New York City and
Bethlehem.

The Democracy Workshop uses MF/PL's special on-line meeting software: a
program that allows groups of five people anyplace on Earth to discuss
and decide issues with similar groups all over the World in real time
encounters. The software has been used at scores of conferences and
gatherings including both United States Social Forum events and several
World and Hemispheric Social Forums.

During the second part of the program, in a live, face to face video
streaming event, education activists from the United States and
Palestine will exchange experiences and perspectives to identify
differences and similarities in their struggles and work on possible
areas of collaboration. Because of software limitations, this portion of
the activity will only involve NYC and Bethlehem.

How do I participate?

There are three ways you can participate.

1. If you are located in or near New York City we encourage you to come
to the Brecht Forum on Saturday, Oct 30 at 10:00 am. If you are in or
near Bethlehem, please attend at Bethlehem University (4:00 pm local time).

2. We are inviting all activists who can organize a group of 5 or more
people to participate in the collaborative democracy portion of the
event. You can participate if you have:

    * at least five people
    * an Internet connection
    * a computer connected to a projector that can display a web site
    * enough computers for each group of 5 people

Email Alfredo at alfredo at mayfirst.org for more information and/or
comments and to arrange your participation.

- --
Alfredo Lopez
Co-Director
May First/People Link
Growing Networks to Build a Just World
http://mayfirst.org

Chair -- Information Communications and Technology Working Group
United State Social Forum 2010
http://ussf2010.org

To all my friends: please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
I can't read them and believe their use runs counter to the goal of
expanding the use of Free and Open Source Software.