[Lowdown] September 2010

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Mon Sep 6 14:47:17 EDT 2010

LOWDOWN SEPTEMBER 2010

MEMBER NEWS: Domestic Worker's Union Victory | From OUR Perspective:
Iraq | Katrina | Net Neutrality
MF/PL EVENTS & NOTICES: Our New Website! | MF/PL seeking interns
NEW MEMBERS
MF/PL MEMBERS, DID YOU KNOW: Why MF/PL's support system is public?
SERVER NAMESAKES: didier

MEMBER NEWS

Paterson Signs Landmark Bill of Rights for Domestic Workers

After years of struggle, Domestic Workers United won a giant victory for
their members and domestic workers throughout the state with the passage
of the Bill of Rights for Domestic Workers.

http://www.domesticworkersunited.org/shownews/59

United for Peace and Justice on the End of the Iraq War
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/

The real transition underway is not from US to Iraqi control, but from
Pentagon to State Department deployment.  Military resources are being
shifted from Pentagon to State Dept control, thus remaining within the
terms of the US-Iraqi Status of Forces Agreement that calls for all US
troops and Pentagon-controlled mercenaries to leave by the end of
2011... On October 2, peace activists will again march on Washington,
DC, joining thousands of civil rights, labor, immigrant rights,
environmental and other progressive organizations in a unified call for
jobs, peace, and justice.

Katrina Information Network on 5th Year Anniversary of Katrina
http://katrinaaction.org/
Our experience with Hurricane Gustav last year has taught us that our
communities cannot depend on the government’s provisions alone. We are
acting to ensure that our folks are not subject to the widespread
discrimination, criminalization and post-evacuation economic disasters
as they have been in the past. That is why we are reaching out to our
networks in the top cities where we tend to evacuate in order to prepare
some provisions ahead of time, just in case. This grassroots preparation
and support is what we are calling The People’s Evacuation Plan.

Jamie McClelland on Net Neutrality
http://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2010/net-neutrality-take-two/

When net neutrality first surfaced as an issue years ago, it was hard to
get behind. Not the principle - which states that providers of Internet
access should supply a connection without restrictions or preferences
based on where or who the content comes from - that should go without
saying. The battle grounds became the Google/Verizon corporate
negotiating table and the US federal regulatory agencies - both
historically have served as empowerment sink holes for anyone trying to
build a political movement ... however, we need to join this fight. The
future of our Internet depends on it.

EVENTS & NOTICES

Our website, mayfirst.org, was just remodeled. We've updated text, added
some photographs, and upgraded (finally) to Drupal 6. You can help make
our website look even more beautiful by sending your organization's
Name, URL(s), Description, and at least one photo. We'll feature your
work in our Member Profiles section.

MF/PL is seeking two interns for the fall and spring semesters. We are
looking for students interested in combining the principles of openness,
transparency, democracy, and free access with the Internet to build
stronger political movements in the United States and internationally.
In addition to helping with the day-to-day tasks of the organization,
interns will have the opportunity to develop technical and
organizational skills. For more information, please visit (and send
out!): https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/intern-description

Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to
apply at mayfirst.org.

WELCOME! NEW MF/PL MEMBERS

Deep Dish TV
Simon Fondrie-Teitler
Roberto Tijerina

FYI: IF YOU'RE A MF/PL MEMBER, DO YOU KNOW...

...our online support system is fully public. Here's why:

A big part of our philosophy is mutual aid and community building.
That's why the ticket tracking system is open to the public - to create
a space so that one member's problems can help another member. In
addition, we would like to encourage members to help other members.

Anyone can participate and we strongly encourage our members to work
with one another. To help you help other members - we've written a few
guidelines:

https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/participate

SERVER NAMESAKES: REVOLUTIONARIES & ACTIVISTS

Server Name: didier

Didier Lestrade was born in Mehdia, Algeria. He grew up in the Southwest
of France, and left home in 1977 after failing twice to graduate from
the French Baccalaureate. He then went to Paris, where he began working
for the first French independent gay publication, Gaie Presse. This
magazine was short-lived (four issues only). At the age of 22, he then
decided to found Magazine Trimestriel, with Misti who soon became art
director for the leading 1980s French gay newspaper, Gai Pied. Magazine
Trimestriel was considered by many to be the most influential all male
underground gay publication of its time.
 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Lestrade

Lowdown is published by May First/People Link. Have a notice or event?
Email mallory at mayfirst.org to be included in our monthly newsletter.

--
Mallory Knodel

May First/People Link Leadership
...Growing Networks to Build a Just World...

mayfirst.org
malloryknodel.net/blog