[Lowdown] July 2011

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Wed Jul 13 02:50:38 EDT 2011

  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/july-we-wish-you-happy-independence-corporate-hosts>

  The Lowdown
  May First/People Link's Newsletter
  Growing Networks to Build a Just World.

  This July We Wish You a Happy Independence from Corporate Hosts!
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/july-we-wish-you-happy-independence-corporate-hosts>

by:
mallory <https://mayfirst.org/users/mallory>

June 2011 has been a very busy month for many of us here at May
First/People Link. We've been traveling a lot for both the organization
and our own projects as members of this organization ourselves. While
our articles are light this month because we've all been so busy, expect
reports from many of our technologists and collaborating organizations
next month, in addition to those articles that we've prepared for our
July 2011 issue of the Lowdown.

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/july-we-wish-you-happy-independence-corporate-hosts>

  Important Members' Meeting on Technology Improvements and Challenges
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/important-members-meeting-technology-improvements-and-challenges>

by:
alfredo <https://mayfirst.org/users/alfredo>

by Alfredo Lopez
Co-Director

We are calling members who can come to a very important meeting on July
28 involving our Tech Support Team and the rest of our membership. We
are going to discuss recent upgrades we have done, problems we have
faced and our future plans. And, together, we are going to try and make
some decisions.

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/important-members-meeting-technology-improvements-and-challenges>

  Taking May First/People Link to the Next Level
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/taking-may-firstpeople-link-next-level>

by:
jamie <https://mayfirst.org/users/jamie>

It's been 16 years since Alfredo Lopez founded People Link and six years
since People Link and the May First Technology Collective merged to form
May First/People Link.

While our growth and development has been fairly steady over time, this
past year we've outgrown many of our "clothes" so to speak - in some
cases, rather dramatically.

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/taking-may-firstpeople-link-next-level>

  Resource limits for everyone's benefit
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/resource-limits-everyones-benefit>

by:
dkg <https://mayfirst.org/users/dkg>

If your neighbor's web site gets out of control (hammered by a spam
attack or subject to a denial of service attack), you'd hope it wouldn't
take down your web site too. At MF/PL, we share resources with each
other, so there is a risk of this happening sometimes.

On Sunday, July 24, MF/PL is putting in database connection limits per
site, so that our database servers remain responsive for all our
members, even when some members' sites are under heavy strain. For the
vast majority of MF/PL members, you won't notice a thing since most
members stay under the limit.

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/resource-limits-everyones-benefit>

  We Fought the Law, and We Won
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/we-fought-law-and-we-won>

by:
guest <https://mayfirst.org/users/guest>

/Our friends at Riseup recently won an important legal victory
protecting free speech that affects us all. The article below is from
the Riseup May 31, 2011 Bulletin. Warning: legal stuff specific to the
United States./

What do right-wing churches, kiss-ins, homophobic lawyers, and Riseup
have in common? They were all involved in "Mount Hope Baptist Church v.
Riseup.net" in US Federal court. The short story: we kicked ass.

Read more <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/july-2011/we-fought-law-and-we-won>