[Lowdown] October 2011

Mallory Knodel mallory at mayfirst.org
Thu Oct 13 07:20:47 EDT 2011

  The Lowdown
  May First/People Link's Newsletter
  Growing Networks to Build a Just World.

  Many New and Exciting Additions to the MF/PL Family this Past Month!
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/october-2011/many-new-and-exciting-additions-mfpl-family-past-month>

by:
mallory <https://mayfirst.org/users/mallory>

The big and growing family at MF/PL is very excited to welcome our new
members who have newly joined over the past month. There are some
fascinating projects, which we are so humbled to be a part of in our
small way. Some of these organizations themselves are new, others have
been around and online since the Internet began. Some of our new members
are massive social movements, while others are individuals navigating
through this moment of crisis like everyone else. We're deeply proud to
introduce to our existing members: the BDS National Committee
(Palestine), Studio Daniel Libeskind (New York), Athens IMC (Greece),
Nigeria Reporters (Nigeria), Occupy Together (United States), ¡Despierta
Boricua! Recovering History Project (New York), MamaBaila, Linda
Iannacone, Erika Owens, Jaime Cadle, and Chris Gang.

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/october-2011/many-new-and-exciting-additions-mfpl-family-past-month>

  MF/PL Offering Free Hosting to Occupy Movement Organizations
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/action/mfpl-offering-free-hosting-occupy-movement-organizations>

by:
alfredo <https://mayfirst.org/users/alfredo>

by Alfredo Lopez, Co-Director

As part of our work in support of the national "Occupy" movement, which
has included the membership of the Occupy Together network's web site,
we have decided to setup a dedicated virtual server for use by movement
participants.

We're calling in "Boggs" (after Grace Lee and James Boggs) because we
think their spirit (and Ms. Grace's continuous contribution) is
reflected in those Occupy actions. The server will be a standard MFPL
server (email, web, mysql, etc.).

We're donating the server to the movement (we'll be asking for donations).

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/action/mfpl-offering-free-hosting-occupy-movement-organizations>

  May First/People Link holds first annual Membership Meeting
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/october-2011/may-firstpeople-link-holds-first-annual-membership-meeting>

by:
jamie <https://mayfirst.org/users/jamie>

May First/People Link passed a critically important milestone toward
becoming a more democratic membership-based organization on Saturday,
September 17, 2011.

During May First/People Link's first annual Membership Meeting, over 50
members came together in person at the Brecht Forum and online from
around the country and the world, to discuss the previous year, plan for
next year and elect the next Leadership Committee.

Read more
<https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/october-2011/may-firstpeople-link-holds-first-annual-membership-meeting>

  Message from a Techie Abroad on Tech and Social Movements
  <https://mayfirst.org/lowdown/guest-article/message-techie-abroad-tech-and-social-movements>

by:guest

Following one of our Techie Congress events during a World Social Forum
meeting in Paris in 2010, MF/PL interviewed a techie named Dimitris