[Lowdown] Funding available: MF/PL Networking Event in Detroit at AMC

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Thu May 24 16:25:44 EDT 2012

Hello May First/People Link Members,

If you are not already planning to come to the Allied Media Conference
the end of June in Detroit - start planning now:
http://amc.alliedmedia.org/!

May First/People Link needs your participation in our Networking
Event/People's Movement Assembly happening Thursday, June 28th (one day
before the main conference workshops begin).  This will be a full day
strategy session to take stock of efforts to control and privatize the
internet and to conceptualize the steps we need to take and the tools we
need to develop to keep our movements active and our internet open. For
more details see the description below.

Thanks to the success of our May First fundraising drive, we are able to
offer financial assistance to help get you to Detroit.  A limited number
of $300 scholarships are available to offset the costs of travel and
lodging to attend our Networking Event.  (Please note that priority will
be given to members most in need of financial support.)

Interested? Please email: info at mayfirst.org

Networking Event/Peoples Movement Assembly:

We cannot count on using the Internet in the coming years they way we
have used it up to now. Hardly a week goes by without a report of a
gross violation of privacy, a security breach, an act of government
censorship, or another merger or buyout cementing the privatization and
centralization of Internet resources. Someday soon it will be your
YouTube video or Facebook page that will be cancelled or removed.

These trends are accelerating and will affect our ability to organize...
unless we step up now. The seeds of the next generation of the Internet,
one that counters these repressive trends, are currently being planted,
but how they grow and what features are prioritized is still to be
worked out.