[Lowdown] Network Gathering/People's Movement Assembly: Detroit June 28

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Thu May 31 17:50:00 EDT 2012

Greetings from May First/People Link!

We are excited to announce that we are hosting a special Network
Gathering/People's Movement Assembly, Thursday, June 28th in Detroit as
part of the Allied Media Conference. (Our event takes place one day
before the general Allied Media Conference workshops begin).

This will be a full day strategy session to take stock of efforts to
control and privatize the Internet and to conceptualize the steps we
need to take and the tools we need to develop to keep our movements
active and our internet open. If you increasingly rely on the web to
engage your constituency, to forward your movement campaign goals, to
network with members, allies, funders, etc. than this is a meeting you
shouldn't miss.

This gathering will bring together organizers and the tech community to
strategize our online needs and visions and plot out the steps to make
these visions a reality.

Light breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided to participants on
June 28th.

*See an extended description below and please RSVP to
members at mayfirst.org if you are planning to join us.*

Network Gathering/Peoples Movement Assembly:

We cannot count on using the Internet in the coming years they way we
have used it up to now. Hardly a week goes by without a report of a
gross violation of privacy, a security breach, an act of government
censorship, or another merger or buyout cementing the privatization
and centralization of Internet resources. Someday soon it will be your
YouTube video or Facebook page that will be cancelled or removed.

These trends are accelerating and will affect our ability to
organize...unless we step up now. The seeds of the next generation of
the Internet, one that counters these repressive trends, are currently
being planted, but how they grow and what features are prioritized is
still to be worked out. _Let's work them out together._

More information about our event is here:
https://mayfirst.org/amc2012

The Network Gathering and Conference will take place at the McGregor
Memorial Conference Center*on the campus of Wayne State University in
Detroit. Specific building and room location to be announced.

For details on the full weekend of conference activities and
workshops, registration and lodging options check out:
http://amc.alliedmedia.org/

Remember, if you're planning on attending our session on Thursday,
June 28th, please RSVP to members at mayfirst.org

--
Jamie McClelland

May First/People Link
Growing networks to build a just world
http://www.mayfirst.org
https://support.mayfirst.org
Members Local 1180, Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO

OpenPGP Key: http://current.workingdirectory.net/pages/identity/