[Service-advisories] scheduled down time on fred (viewsic, albizu, jones, leslie, and marcos)

Jamie McClelland jm at mayfirst.org
Wed Jan 18 16:32:34 EST 2012

Servers Affected: jones viewsic albizu leslie marcos
Date: 2012-01-18

Early morning on Thursday, January 19 and early morning on Friday,
January 20, between about 12:15 am and 3:15 am, the following servers
will be offline: jones, viewsic, albizu, leslie, and marcos.

During the down period, you will not be able to use any services
provided by the server (if you try to access your web site, your browser
will report that the site is unavailable and your email programs will
generate error messages when you try to send or receive email messages).
However, if anyone tries to send an email to you, it will be queued for
delivery and will be delivered after the down period is over. The sender
will not be aware of the downtime.

We are shutting down these servers to allow our disk upgrade to
complete.

On Sunday we began by replacing the first of the two disks that power
fred. Since then, we've been copying all the data from the existing disk
to the new disk. This process is about 30% complete and the process of
copying the data has slowed down all resources on the disk. By turning
off all virtual servers on the host, we expect this copy can be
completed in just a few hours.

We need to repeat the process early thursday morning because, once the
first new disk has received a full copy of all the data, we will then
replace the second disk. By turning off the virtual servers on fred
again friday morning, we can ensure that this process completes in a
timely fashion.

Once the disk replacement is complete, we will have twice as much
storage available.