[AgaricShowandTell] Tomorrow: E-commerce Platform Coops

Keegan Rankin Kms.rankin at protonmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:40:35 EDT 2020

Show and Tell with Agaric on Wednesday, July 8th at 11am ET

Presentation overview:

I, Keegan, will guide a discussion: "A quick look at E-Commerce Platform Cooperativism"

The business model for developing proprietary e-commerce platforms is clear. These online markets are typically initiated in such a manner that prioritizes the needs of private sellers. Once a large number of people have become fascinated by the ability to trade with individuals, the platform shifts gears and opens themselves up to commercial sellers.This inevitably drastically changes the experience of both buyers and sellers on these platforms.

Tomorrow we will discuss Fairmondo, an existing Platform Coop built on Free Software, what differentiates it from proprietary platforms, what it needs to be usable, what we want it to be, and how we can organize and move forward onto a cooperative global digital economy.

We will be using BigBlueButton video chat for Show and Tell tomorrow.

Chat link: http://communitybridge.com/bbb-room/show-and-tell/ To enter, use any name and the room password/code: elephant9

Notes from past Show and Tell meetings: https://pad.drutopia.org/p/show-tell
https://hackmd.io/lRgXbI-rTJebqjBYAYwyVg

Send this link to friends that would like an invitation to our weekly Show and Tell, so they will receive the chat link via our email announcements once a week:

*** Format - Every second week of each month will be a
Cooperative share - topics around cooperative development.
The third week of each month will be dedicated to a technical topic.
The fourth week of each month will be lightning talks, so come and show us a short
presentation or suggest a discussion topic for a 5-10 minute share. The
first week of each month is up for suggestions: if you have something to
share, send a note to the group before the Sunday before the Show and
Tell meeting on Wednesday: showandtell at lists.mayfirst.org

In Solidarity,

Keegan Rankin